As I write this piece on this glamorous rainy day I begin to wonder what it looks like in the major tourist attractions in Nigeria. The strong winds jousting the palm trees back and forth, the window shutters slamming shut and open, the smell of the rain! Nigeria boasts of many tourist locations from the scenic view atop the olumo rock, to the wildlife at yankari game reserve and even the inception of history in the Oba’s palace in Benin City. However, the tourism industry suffers greatly due to insecurity, bad road networks, and epileptic power supply. This does not dispute the fact that we have been truly blessed by nature in this country. Check out some of the tourist attractions we have in Nigeria.
List of Top 10 Affordable Tourist Attractions And Vacation Destinations In Nigeria
- Yankari National Park (Bauchi State).
Formerly a game reserve, this wildlife center located in Bauchi state is a home to about 50 species of mammals and over 350 species of birds. The game reserve is 2,244km square in size Yankari National Park and houses natural warm water springs
- The Royal Palace Of the Oba Of Benin:
The history of the Benin Kingdom can never be ruled out when talking about the history of Nigeria. The Oba also is known as the Omo N’Oba N’Edo is the chief custodian of the Benin culture. His royal palace has been listed as a UNESCO heritage site. It holds a huge collection of sculptural pieces of a lot of Benin Obas in bronze, ancestral shrines and ivory. The materials used in Benin’s royal arts are primarily brass, ivory, and coral which are said to be endowed with sacred power. The royal house of Benin became famous in Africa and the world after the Punitive Expedition in the 19th century, although Benin art has been in existence since the 13th century. The palace houses a zoo, the living quarters of the Oba’s as well numerous shrines and deities.
- Ikogosi Warm Springs:
This tourist attraction is located at Ikogosi town in Ekiti State. It is called a warm spring because there are two springs (hot and cold) which meet at confluence to formally the warm spring. Studies show that the warm spring has a temperature of about 70oC at the source and 37oC at the confluence.
- The Ancient Nok Settlement: Nok culture was discovered by archaeologists in 1929. It provides evidence of the earliest ancient form of civilization in Nigeria.This little archaeologists’ haven is located in Jaba Local Government, Kaduna state. Terracotta figurines were discovered in the process of the archaeological excavations.
- Awhum Waterfall: Located in Enugu state, Awhum Waterfall is over 30 meters high. The adventurers, the inquisitive and religious go there for different purposes. Folklore has it that the fall which is closely located to a monastery is said to be curative and capable of warding off evil spirits whenever sprinkled.
- Idanre Hills:
Located in the Idanre town of Ondo State Nigeria, the hill of Idanre resides 3000ft above sea level. Owa’s Palace, Shrines, Old Court, Belfry, Agboo-ogun footprint, thunder water (Omi Apaara) and burial mounds and grounds are some of the features of this hill. It attracts spiritualists and lovers of adventure from all around Nigeria. The hills surround the town of Idanre. Another exciting feature of the hill is the Arun River, a small river on the hill. It truly is a site to behold.
- Tinapa Business Resort:
It was commissioned on the 2nd of April 2007 with the purpose of combining business and recreational functions with duty-free shopping. Tinapa has space for retail and wholesale, several line shops, warehouses etc all in a beautiful and serene environment. Trade exhibitions and other events are held there too. Also, it houses a movie production studio commonly called “Studio Tinapa” or “Nollywood” and an opportunity for guests to be fully entertained with features which include a casino, a nightclub and pubs, Cinema, children’s arcade, restaurants and a mini amphitheater.
- La Campagne Tropicana:
This beach resort in the Ibeju-Lekki area of Lagos State is home to a freshwater lake, accessible mangrove forest, a Savannah, extensive sandy beach and the warm Atlantic sea. Already that sounds amazing. For tourists and visitors hoping to spend the holidays or just take a break from the world, this resort provides world-class accommodation and a host of activities to make sure you have an amazing experience.
- Olumo Rock: The Olumo Rock is one of the oldest forms of tourist attractions in Nigeria. Previously used as a fortress during the war in the early 19th century, the Egba people hid in caves inside the rock. Renovations were made in 2006 which transformed the outlook of the site to include a new museum and restaurant. Tourists are allowed climbs on the rocks through a ladder that fits into a narrow corridor that leads to the top of the rock.
- Obudu Mountain Resort: Obudu Mountain Resort otherwise known as Obudu Cattle Ranch in Cross River State is bordered by Cameroon. Situated on a plateau at a staggering height of 1576 meters above sea level on the Oshie Ridge of the Sankwala Mountains, the Obudu Resort offers tranquillity. One remarkable thing about the climate at the top of the mountain is that it is always cold, even on a hot summer afternoon.
With all these wonderful places listed above patiently waiting to be explored, would you tell me Nigeria isn’t blessed? Have you been to any of these places before? If yes please tell us about your experience.